Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Project D, § 2: Grueling pace

That one late night came back for an encore the second night in a row, but progress continued to be made.


I understand why I was working so late. It wasn't just because of the deadline of the art show approaching, but it was also my getting into the flow of the production of the project and my desire to see where it would take me. I kept asking, "What's next? What's next?" despite my efforts to maintain my desires for where and how I wanted the project to end.






While I sewed, I realized the tension of the thread changed mid-stitch. Was it the fabric choice? Needle type? What?! It became very frustrating--I was ready to keep going but the tools of the trade were rebelling! I fiddled with the tension dials and let out some choice words... so involved... but it was something I needed to get used to.

The scrap thread pile continued to grow...


The hands came together...


And another needle broke.

AND, as you can see in the above image, my zigzag stitch decided to drop the right-hand stitch quite often. As I was trying to work through the issue on scrap fabric, the needle broke. What a gross noise.
CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK

I decided to choose practicality over formality and go with the single stitch for the last few hands, since the zigzag stitches were no longer forming. Eventually, on the second-to-last hand, the single stitch began to not catch. The bobbin was full, the needle was sharp, and the stitches no longer caught.

Did I run my machine into the ground? In the end, I did what my family members before me had done in regards to money, possessions, and food: you make do with what you have.

I broke out the glue gun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails