Monday, October 11, 2010

Double UP! Brief flowy shirt tutorial

For the last year+ I've been wanting to make a dress form to help me make my own clothes.  Thanks to Subversive Seamster, my DH helped me make one.  Major props to him :)

I have named her Janice (as always, the first name that comes to mind!) It's interesting to have a 'double' of myself that is now guarding my studio...

She helped me make a shirt this weekend:

Steps:
  1.  Take two squares of fabric, put one on the front and one on the back of Janice, and pin the shoulders together (sewn together for about 1", leaving some slack in both the front and back for the neckline).  If you do not have a dress form, I suggest having someone help you with measurements.
  2. Pin the sides together, hugging the torso, leaving the excess fabric on the sides to create flowy edges.  I left approx. 7" open from the shoulder for the armholes.  
Once everything was pinned, the fabric and I had a hot date with the sewing machine, and voila...

The fabric is a light jersey cotton blend.  It held up very nicely for the bachelorette party I went to that night :) (action photo to come soon!)

If I wasn't clear enough on the details, please comment with your question in case others are wondering the same thing! I will answer promptly :) I am a beginning sewer, but I'll try my best to help you out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails